SWEET POTATO CRANBERRY HASH




I know many of you probably have already sketched out and finalized your plans for Thanksgiving Day.  Recipes have been tested, fine china and silver polished, and a well-thought out orchestration of how each dish will be prepared, has been set. That's a lot of pressure. Thank goodness nobody put me in charge!





Unfortunately, I don't have any family recipes or too many tips that were passed down to share, I'm still trying to build the holiday repertoire myself. Browsing through my blogger friend's festive, tantalizing, and beautifully photographed dishes reminded me of how far I have to go. I only have one Thanksgiving recipe  to recommend, sweet potato cranberry hash, a healthy and colorful alternative to the traditional candied sweet potatoes. This recipe may be arriving late, and if it doesn't make it to Thanksgiving dinner, I hope that you consider trying it another time.



It's a very simple recipe that comes from Williams Sonoma. The most time consuming part, baking the sweet potatoes for an hour, is required to be made ahead of time, at least one day in advance; perfect for those rationing every square inch of oven and stove top space. The second step of this recipe includes some prep work, dicing and chopping, prior to sauteing the ingredients together, all of which can be done within 30 minutes.



This recipe brings together bold flavors that I typically wouldn't assume would work, such as cranberries and green onions, but the combination delivers in a stunning manner. However, since this recipe does not depend on sugar or cream for flavor, I must disclaim that the quality of this dish relies almost entirely on the quality of the ingredients. If the sweet potato is not sweet enough, the dish will taste bland. Additionally, I've attempted this recipe with various apple varieties, and found that Fuji, as called for in the recipe, works best.



Also, this recipe is very specific with the amount of time for sauteing each ingredient. If you wander around the house a lot while cooking, like I do because my kitchen is so small, you risk overcooking such ingredients like the green onions. Oops, but you probably don't have that problem.

SWEET POTATO CRANBERRY HASH RECIPE
(Adapted from Williams-Sonoma, Essentials of Healthful Cooking)
Ingredients
  • 2 pounds of orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, roughly 3 skinny ones or 2 fat ones
  • 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 large Fuji apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1/2 cup sliced green onion
  • 1 cup cranberries, coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Pinch of ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more, to taste
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
  2. Set the sweet potatoes directly on the oven rack and bake until they still feel slightly firm when pressed, 50 to 55 minutes. If you are using bigger sweet potatoes, it may require a longer time in the oven. Remove from the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Place the sweet potatoes on a plate, cover loosely and refrigerate overnight. (Chilling them firms the flesh, making it hold together better in the hash.) The next day, peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
  3. In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the apple cubes and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the apple cubes begin to caramelize and brown around the edges, about 5 minutes.
  4. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to the pan. When it melts, stir in the green onion and cranberries and cook until the green onion wilts, about 1 minute. Stir in the cinnamon and allspice, add the sweet potatoes and cook, stirring frequently, until they are heated through, about 4 minutes. They will break up somewhat, but try to smash them as little as possible. Add the 1/4 tsp. salt, or more, to taste, and season with pepper.
  5. Transfer the hash to a serving dish and serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
Serves 6

61 comments:

ann low said...

WOW! Looks so delicious and I love all your pics here, so beautiful :D

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oh MY, what a winning flavor combination!

Cucinista said...

Ooh, I'm liking the looks of this. I would make it whenever cranberries are in season, not just Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

Such a culinary artist!! I hope you open your own resto;-).
Fuji apple are my fav, they sweeten my green juices very well, wonder if they are the sweetest apples?!!

XoXoXo

chow and chatter said...

oh this looks great and not sickly sweet LOL

Unplanned Cooking said...

I'm culling the blogs for some great Thanksgiving recipes, too. This is the first year I'm hosting.

HoustonWok said...

Hi Christine!!!
Your blog never fails to deliver a fresh look, invigorating colors and a fusion of flavor bursting recipes. Good luck w/ your Thanksgiving planning.

le ricette del glutine scomparso said...

good recipe does not celebrate Thanksgiving, but if you do not mind the aproverò comnque ...
p.s: make exceptional photos:))

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Wonderful dish! I love the colors and flavors. I have been looking for some interesting cranberry recipes; this is certainly one I'll try!

3 hungry tummies said...

Beautiful looking dish! It must be a wonderful experience trying to build your own holiday repertoire.
What are those flowers in the garden? they are very pretty!!

Jennie said...

I much prefer the sound of this to a traditional sweet potato casserole! I love that it is simple and light! I will absolutely give this a try sometime!

Fresh Local and Best said...

Thank for everyone's kind comments!

3 Hungry Tummies - The flowers are called columbine. It's the state flower of Colorado, which is a beautiful part of America!

Sook said...

Christine-
It looks like it will make a great Thanksgiving side dish! Yummy!!

John Dryzga said...

This looks really good! I'll put it on the menu for next Thanksgiving.

theUngourmet said...

Your photos are beautiful! This looks like a terrific way to serve sweet potatoes Thanksgiving or anytime. Nice flavor combination!

Sarah said...

Beautiful and I love the flavors! I haven't decided on my sweet potato recipe I may have to give this a try!
You flower photo is gorgeous!

Heather S-G said...

This sounds awesome. I am saving it and hoping I'll get it done for turkey day this year...but if not, I'm still gonna try it...lovin' those flavors :D And it's pretty!

Reeni said...

What a beautiful and delicious recipe! Love the flavors - they just scream Thanksgiving/Fall. This would really improve leftovers too!

Delicious Dishings said...

I'm already planning to make my mom's yam recipe for Thanksgiving dinner, but I will definitely keep this in mind for another time. I bet the tart cranberries pair so well with the sweet sweet potatoes.

Brilliant Sulk said...

Anything with sweet potatoes and cranberries works for me...yum.

Erica said...

Great blog- can't wait to look around more. This dish looks like something I would love- thank you for sharing ;)

Unknown said...

Oh this looks so very delicious. I love all the flavor combinations going on here..what a perfect addition to any holiday table.

Anonymous said...

This would be a great side dish! A combo of sweet potatoes and cranberries and apples is awesome!

Jamie said...

This sounds so amazing! Sweet potatoes and cranberries are two of my favorite things, but sadly no really sweet orange sweet potatoes here, because this would really be on my list. Fabulous flavors.

Julia said...

I always walk around the house while I cook which always leads to problems. Glad I'm not the only one. This is a beautiful dish--so festive. Have a wonderful holiday, Christine!

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks like a perfect post Thanksgiving treat!

Mimi said...

Great recipe. I love the combination of flavors and textures.
Mimi

Juliana said...

Nice nice pictures, and the hash is so festive, just right for the Holiday :-) By the way, I have a little surprise for you, please visit me at Breakfast with Meat Sauce...I think you did...thanks!

Simply Life said...

Yum! I love the combo of ingredients you used here - this looks amazing!

The Diva on a Diet said...

Wow this looks good! I wish I could make this for Thanksgiving ... but every inch of my stove, oven, fridge and freezer are now pushing maximum density. Bah! This is the one time of year when I wish I lived in a house and not an apartment. If so, I'd have two ovens and an extra fridge and freezer in the garage. Then I'd really go wild for Thanksgiving!

In any case, I will def. be trying this dish as soon as possible. So many of my favorite things all wrapped up in one yummy, seasonal side. :)

lululu said...

I'm a sucker for cranberries, be it fresh, frozen and dried.
Simply love the combination of your dish, tangy cranberry, sweet apple, and creamy sweet potato.
This dish might go great as a side dish, but I assure I could have it plain!

Dhale B. said...

Good luck with your Thanksgiving feast! II'm getting ready to prepare dinner for 12 people and it's my first time! Luckily I'm not in charge of the turkey!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love the colors in this dish!

Selba said...

This is wonderful! I like sweet potato. How I wish we also have cranberry here in Indonesia... I've never eaten cranberry in my life except drinking the juice made in USA :)

Esme said...

This looks great-thanks for stopping by.

Mardi Michels said...

This looks great - a nice alternative to other sides that tend to be too heavy. We're over Thanksgiving here in Canada but I will hopefully get to try this soon...

El said...

Finally, something different I can make on Thanksgiving. This looks great. Thank you!

El said...

Finally, something different I can make on Thanksgiving. This looks great. Thank you!

Pam said...

Yum. This dish looks so delicious - I love sweet potatoes and cranberries.

Deb in Hawaii said...

What a gorgeous and unique combination of ingredients and flavors!

Joanne said...

I dont' have many traditional food in my family either so I'm basically left to experiment (within the narrow range of foods that my family is willing to try - there will just be no getting them away from Stovetop stuffing). I would love to have this as a side dish with dinner. Sweet potatoes and cranberries are some of my favorite foods in season right now! Love this dish.

PS - I am a wanderer as well.

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

I'm just on pie duty for Thanksgiving, but I may indeed make this for the Christmas dinner. What a beautiful combination of colors and textures. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Diana Bauman said...

This sounds so good! I to don't have any touching Thanksgiving recipes and to be honest, I really don't look forward to the traditional Thanksgiving meal. I like the variation in this though, especially adding the green onions! Something different ;)

NKP said...

I love these flavours! I have bookmarked this dish to make for Christmas. Thanks so much!

Joy said...

Wow this looks yum!!! I would've totally made this last weekend, I will bookmark this for next year ^_^

Unknown said...

Very creative! I never would have thought of this :). Have a wonderful thanksgiving. *kisses* HH

nancy at goodfoodmatters said...

What a terrific sounding recipe---one that I will have to recreate for one of the several dinner parties we will be hosting in December.

with best wishes for a happy Thanksgiving, Christine!

Judy said...

Mmmmm. This does look good. W/S has great recipes.

Velva said...

Christine, your cranberry and sweet potato hash look like an excellent side dish to be served at Thanksgiving. I like it!
I won't be cooking this year. Instead, traveling south to spend the holiday with family. Whew! The pressure is off :-)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

La Bella Cooks said...

What a gorgeous dish and your photos are stellar!

The Diva on a Diet said...

Popping in to wish you a wonderful, delicious, Happy Thanksgiving!

I owe you an email and as soon as I emerge from all the feasting and dish washing, we'll make a plan to grab lunch some day! :)

Dolce said...

You may not have a repertoire, but you are working on it now.. and building it for your family :)
Beautiful recipe.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Chubby Chinese Girl said...

ohh sweet potato hash looks divine!... have you tried using the purple yam? i wonder how that would taste like =)

Ravenous Couple said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! out of curiosity, are those your flowers you post?

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

This definitely sounds and looks like a welcome treat on Thanksgiving :)

Erica said...

wonderful site! Great recipes and beautiful pictures!

pigpigscorner said...

wow looks really good, great flavours!

Michelle said...

It's taken me years to host Thanksgiving without trauma, not to the guests but to me. Even this year I botched the sweet potatoes but I learned and buy backup just in case. LOL!

The Duo Dishes said...

Sweet potatoes are one of our fave veggies. This is a winner. Must try it!

Shaheen said...

Hi,
I am new to your blog - thats a new combination to me: cranberries and sweet potato, may give it a go one-day. Thanks for sharing.

Drewewith said...

This does look fantastic! I will have to try it!