When I think of Vietnamese food, I think of fresh herbs, crisp shredded vegetables and small tender chunks of meat woven together with bright savory umami flavors. So when it came time for me to think of a dish to submit for June's Delicious Vietnam round-up, I naturally chose a salad that combined many of those wonderful exciting flavors.
This is a salad demonstrates the versatility of Vietnamese cuisine, which incorporates citrus, carrots, jicama, shrimp and chicken among other fresh ingredients. If you can't find pomelo, pink grapefruit is an excellent substitute.
Goi Buoi Tom Thit Recipe
(adapted from Viet World Kitchen)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound large or jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 medium pomelo or grapefruit
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 jicama, peeled and julienned
- ¼ cup mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, leafy tops only
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted, roasted peanuts (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 generous teaspoon Vietnamese chile garlic sauce
- Put the salt in a small saucepan and fill 2/3 with water. Bring to a boil and then add the shrimp. As soon as they've curled up, remove them with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool.
- Return the water to a boil and add the chicken. When bubbles form at the rim, turn off the heat, cover and let sit for 20 minutes to cook the flesh. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Cut the shrimp in the diagonal into large pieces that will blend well with the pomelo and other ingredients. Hand shred the chicken. Set aside.
- Cut off one end of the pomelo or grapefruit to reveal its fleshy pith. Then use your fingers and knife to remove the pith so that all that's remaining is the white covered flesh. Pry the pomelo open and split into two parts. Then use a knife, scissors and your fingers to peel away the skin from each segment and remove the flesh. Separate the flesh into bite size pieces and deposit in a bowl.
- For the dressing, combine fish sauce, lime juice, water, sugar and chile garlic sauce in a small bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar.
Right before serving, add the shrimp, chicken or pork, carrot, mint, cilantro, peanuts, if using, to the pomelo. Toss with your fingers or tongs to combine well. Add the dressing and toss. Taste and adjust the flavors, as needed. Transfer to a plate, leaving any liquid behind and serve.
I'm sending this over to Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for Souper Sundays and to June's Delicious Vietnam, which is being hosted by Ravenous Couple.