Absolutely Sinful Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe


Many years ago at an alley way entrance to the Irish Bank, a messy dive bar in the financial district of San Francisco, I laid eyes on a handsome gentleman. I still remember how gracefully the warm sunset cast an orange light onto his angelic brown locks, and the bright clarity of his hazel green eyes.


Central Park Winter

This evening tears welled as I stared into those same eyes, I was reminded me of how lucky I am. Over the past few months I've leaned on this man to take over nearly all of the house chores: cooking, cleaning and grocery shopping, while I surrendered to the various stages of pregnancy. My heart swells thinking about how much love and devotion lies behind his care.

Central Park Winter

I hope that everyone has someone like this in their lives, and if not, that someday you will. Everyone deserves a soul mate to make what could be an otherwise impossible journey into an incredible experience.

The Filoli in Woodside, CA Summer 

If you have not chosen a dessert to make for Valentine's Day next week, consider flourless chocolate cake, a really easy and luscious treat. With flourless chocolate cake, the secret is in how you handle the egg whites. If you want a denser chocolate cake, whip the egg whites to soft peaks. If you prefer a lighter more mousse-like texture, make sure that the egg whites are whipped until stiff, which takes longer, and is my preferred consistency. Either method, fold the the egg whites with care, so that the delicate and spongy structure remains intact to yield that wonderful custardy texture.


Flourless Chocolate Cake
From Martha Stewart's Everyday Food, January/February 2004
Ingredients
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
  • 3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips (or 8 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate)
  • 6 large egg yolks
  • 6 large egg whites
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees; with rack in center. Butter a 9-inch springform pan. Place butter and chocolate in a large bowl. The original recipe instructs to microwave in 30-second increments, stirring each time, until the chocolate and butter is melted. I like to create a bain marie - that is have a heat-proof bowl tightly fitted over a pot of gently boiling water (medium heat). Make sure that the water does not come into contact with the bowl. The steam should be sufficient to gently melt the butter and chocolate. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. 
  2. In another bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks for a dense cake, or beat egg whites until stiff if you want a mousse-like texture. To accelerate stiffness, change the speed of the mixer between fast and slow. Gradually add sugar; beat until stiff and glossy. Take the egg yolks, and whisk into the chocolate mixture. Whisk 1/4 of whites into chocolate mixture.  Fold mixture into remaining whites with care. 
  3. Pour into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until cake starts to pull away from sides of pan and is just set in center, 45 to 50 minutes. Serve warm or cool completely on a wire rack. I think it is best served 15-20 minutes out of the oven. Serve dusted with confectioners' sugar.
Serves 8



Raspberry Sauce
Ingredients
One 12-oz. bag of frozen raspberries
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch

Method
  1. Thaw the unsweetened frozen raspberries in a large fine meshed strainer suspended over a large a saucepan. This step will likely take 2-3 hours. 
  2. Once the berries have completely thawed, press the juice from the berries by pushing down the berries with the back of a large spoon, scrape the seeds and pulp together and push down on the seeds again until all that remains in the strainer is the raspberry seeds. Discard the raspberry seeds.
  3. Mix sugar and cornstarch well into the cold raspberry sauce. Turn on the heat to medium, stirring occasionally. Once the sauce starts to bubble, continue stirring for another 30 seconds before turning off the heat. Allow it to cool down prior to serving. 
This sauce can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for a week.

I hope everyone has a lovely Valentine's Day!

63 comments:

From the Kitchen said...

I'm so fortunate to have the same kind of man in my life. Although my pregnancies were very easy through each stage, he was right there to step in once the babies arrived.

And, if I'm going to "sin", let it be with chocolate!! The recipe sounds delicious and perfect.

Wonderful photos!

Best,
Bonnie

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I have a flourless chocolate cake in mind so will finally be able to try it. Love the raspberry sauce for your Valentine:D

Gloria Baker said...

Absolutely wonderful photos dear Christine, the recipe look delicious! gloria

Belinda @zomppa said...

What a lovely story. =) Do I have to wait to eat this??

TKW said...

What a sweet (and delicous) tribute to your man!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

You are very lucky! Beautiful, romantic photos of snowy NYC and the voluptuous flourless chocolate cake!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

What a sweet post! :)

The chocolate cake sounds amazing! I know hubby would love it, so I think it's going on "the list!"

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

What a lovely tribute to your husband. I feel exactly the same way about mine and we've been married forty-one years. He's the love of my life and I would be completely lost without him.

Chocolate and sinful - what a delicious combination.

I try not to use the word "incredible" because I think it's overused and often incorrectly used, but that's the only word to describe your lead photo with the dark chocolate cake and the bright red raspberry sauce. You could sell it as a cover photo for a dessert cookbook.
Sam

El said...

Beautiful post Christine. I'm sure you're husband feels just as lucky and just as grateful. The cake looks sinful. Happy Valentine's Day to you too!

sally said...

Looks fantastic and perfect for Valentine's Day!

Asha @ FSK said...

Christine, What a beautiful post dedicated to your hub!! :))) yes, the joy of having someone like that is just incomparable.. Happy valentine's day!! HUGS

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

This cake looks simply divine.

Deana Sidney said...

I am all over raspberries for Valentine's Day and this cake would be great with them. I think your lovesong to your beloved is the best... good to never forget how lucky we are when there is love in our lives... it makes everything easier! Thanks for the great recipe!

Victoria said...

I hope you and your hubby have a fabulous Valentine's day :) This cake looks divine, and I would happily devour it on Single Awareness Day (aka Valentine's Day).

Cathy said...

Sinful is the right word for this luscious chocolate cake! I think this is the perfect Valentine's Day treat. I hope your day is a very happy one, Christine.

Delicious Dishings said...

That raspberry sauce totally caught my eye. If my dessert plan falls through, I know what I'm making! (And I owe you an email... will write soon!)

Claudia said...

I love all flourless chocolate tortes - just rich, velevety smooth and soul-satisfying. The raspberry sauce is the sweetest touch for color and marrying the chocolate. I am grateful to have a soul-mate - such sweet meanderings. Of course, sometimes I think that the flourless chocolate cake would be a good stand-in for a soul-mate! The photo of the Park in snow gave me a smile - even if I am sick of snow.

Claudia said...

I love all flourless chocolate tortes - just rich, velevety smooth and soul-satisfying. The raspberry sauce is the sweetest touch for color and marrying the chocolate. I am grateful to have a soul-mate - such sweet meanderings. Of course, sometimes I think that the flourless chocolate cake would be a good stand-in for a soul-mate! The photo of the Park in snow gave me a smile - even if I am sick of snow.

Tasty Trix said...

Aww, that is so sweet!! I too have an awesome man. Wouldn't settle for anything less. ; ) Beautiful cake!!

Kim said...

Christine - This is a beautiful post with gorgeous photos and a very sweet sentiment. Your flourless chocolate cake with raspberry sauce looks remarkable!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Ah, love ♥ I'm sure he thinks the same about you too, Christine.

What a sensual treat. If I had to chose a last meal dessert, I think it would be flourless chocolate cake for my last meal!

Mari Nuñez said...

Hola Cristine, I had tears in my eyes as I read this post. I am so glad you have your soul-mate, and that he loves and cares for you. I absolutely understand you, I have mine too, and after 20 years together that love is even stronger.

I wish you the best. May love reign in your life and home always.

The recipe is a spectacular dessert, ideal for next week!

Cristina said...

What a lovely post, Christine. Life is much more beautiful sharing it with a soulmate - I totally agree. =)

This flourless chocolate cake looks absolutely sinfully decadent and delicious. Gorgeous raspberry sauce!

Denise said...

Love the beautiful photos you posted with this!! Especially all the snow since I am without down here in South Florida.

Can you believe I just tasted & made my very first flourless chocolate cake a few weeks ago? It was (IS) amazing, and I'm typing up my post probably in the next few days to share on my blog. I got my recipe from Epicurious online (Gourmet 1997), but I added a chocolate glazed icing. How I love your addition of a raspberry sauce!! I will have to try that next time.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Those days are over for me, and my youngest of 3 girls just turned 3 last month...so we are almost out of diapers here too. The newborn weeks are SO very precious!! Enjoy your "babymoon."

Denise @ Creative Kitchen

kat said...

Looks heavenly! I'm lucky to have that kind of guy in my life too. I met mine down in North Beach heading to a show at Bimbos so it much be something about SF

lisaiscooking said...

That's so nice that you're being well taken care of right now! And, making great memories too I bet. This cake looks amazing with that bright, lovely raspberry sauce!

La Bella Cooks said...

What a heartwarming post. I have someone wonderful to help me through those moments as well and I can't imagine life without him. Your dessert would make anyone happy this Valentine's. Hope your pregnancy is going well. Take care!

~Lisa~ said...

Lovely cake and photos. I hope your pregnancy is going well Christine. I wish my taste buds would allow me to eat sweets but its not agreeing with me these days. But this cake, looks deliciously decadent (=

Emily said...

Written so beautifully as always, Christine. :)

And I'm bookmarking this recipe; it looks amazing!

Bo said...

Perfect sweet to share with your sweetie!

The Glamorous Gourmet said...

What beautiful photos and your chocolate cake looks positively divine. Hope you and your hubby have a wonderful Valentine's Day:)

Lori said...

Such a beautiful post. I am fortunate to have my soul mate, best friend and husband in one. No one else out there gets me like he does. I have the same wish for others as well.

Now, about this cake...it looks incredible! Bring on the chocolate cravings!

redmenace said...

Your cake is the perfect thing for Valentine's Day. Wonderful idea. And, surrendering to the various stages of pregnancy? That's exactly what you have to do. I'm glad you have such a wonderful husband. You'll appreciate him even more when your little one arrives!

Jamie said...

What a beautiful ode to the man you love! And yes, I am lucky enough to have one too. I just posted my recipe for Flourless Chocolate Torte on Huff Post but now I must compare it to your gorgeous version! Happy V Day and I hope you are feeling so fabulous!

Joanne said...

Oh Christine this post made me SO happy for you! I wish for you guys an indefinite amount of happy and loving years together. Years that are filled with delicious chocolate cakes such as this.

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

You are a very lucky lady. :) And how lucky is he to have a fabulous woman who not only is carrying his future in her belly, but who whips up divine desserts like this to share with him. Yummy.

Dina @dishanddirt said...

Such lovely photos Christine, esp. of the cake ;). Hope you and S are nesting well in these final months.

nancy at good food matters said...

Very sweet and heart-opening post, Christine. I am happy that you have such a good man, going the extra mile(s) during the pregnancy.

And, now, back-to-back chocolate delights! WOW

But, t'is the season.

White Hot Oven said...

Much love to you both (and your belly) this Valentine's Day!

xoox
~m~

Beth said...

What a perfect Valentine's Day dessert! And your photo from Woodside is absolutely charming.

Ingrid de Villiers said...

Dear Christine, What a lovely post! I am so blessed to have such a wonderful man in my life as well...for almost 17 years and I a so grateful for that!
Your flourless chocolate cake looks divine and I am going to try it! I absolutely love the picture of "Central Park Winter"...great photography!
Ixx

Juliana said...

I never made a flourless chocolate cake, I mean any flourless cake...yours look delicious specially with the raspberry sauce...perfect combination :-)

Anonymous said...

An absolutely decadent luscious dessert! So gorgeous with that raspberry sauce too!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

I love flour less chocolate cakes. Yum.

Angie's Recipes said...

A fantastic chocolate cake! And the raspberry sauce sounds heavenly.

Unknown said...

That is so pretty, and the red is so red and beautiful. It's a perfect Valentines Day desert!
*kisses* HH

Mary Bergfeld said...

Christine, it is wonderful to have a relationship such as yours. This will be a special Valentine's day for both of you. Your cake is perfect for a celebration. Take care. Hugs and blessings...Mary

chow and chatter said...

oh sweet have a great valentines Christine great dessert

Deb in Hawaii said...

Very sweet post. Those cakes look amazing and paired with the bright, beautiful sauce they are perfect.
;-)

bunkycooks said...

You know who is really your Valentine when you go through struggles together. It sounds like you have found yours! :) This is one of my favorite desserts...ever.

tasteofbeirut said...

This chocolate cake with the raspberry sauce on top is just irresistible! I am taking note to make after Valentine, because while I can live without a man, I cannot live without chocolate.!

Stella said...

Hey Christine! This was a very sweet and well written post. Thanks for wishing such loveliness for me and everyone else (smile)! Oh, and this tart sounds crazy delicious. I've never seen a recipe like this that really doesn't have any A.P. or Almond flour. Interesting...
p.s. I see you're making good on your resolution about writing;-)

OysterCulture said...

What a great tribute to your special fella, I'm going to have to recommend the Irish Bank to some of my single friends to say that good fortunate may not just strike once.

What a tremendously sinful dessert - absolutely perfect for Valentines Day.

Chiara said...

What a lovely post, Christine!It will be a special Valentine's day for you...A warm hug...

Little Inbox said...

The raspberry sauce is super attractive!

Nina said...

Christine, what a beautiful post and your cake looks stunning. Happy Valentine's Day to you! xo

Erica said...

Beautiful post!!! Lucky girl and the cake looks amazing.....My mouth is watering!

Unknown said...

Woah! this picture is to die for - or as we've changed the expression in my home, to live for :)
I love a man who is my anchor and my best friend and I have 18 years almost and 3 kids with him - Love being in love - Loved your story too. Hope you have a safe delivery and a bonny baby :)

Table Talk said...

Such sweet sentiment in your post. You have a lot to celebrate, and sounds like you are with exactly the right person to be celebrating with.
Next year you will have a new little guy to share Valentine's wishes with :)

Catherine said...

I love flourless cake! This looks divinely beautiful!
Blessings,
Catherine

Magic of Spice said...

What a sweet post and stunning cake!
Love the photos especially the first one, just gorgeous :)

Nancy said...

Beautiful contrast between the rich, dark cake and bright sauce! There is nothing quite so decadent as a molten-centered, flourless chocolate cake.

pigpigscorner said...

wow, that looks sinfully good!