Sirloin Flap Steak with Chimichurri Sauce

 
One of the my favorite experiences of buying from local farmers is the experience of discovering new goodies that are sometimes not easily found in the supermarket. It's how I found the delicate oniony ramps, discovered that fava bean greens are edible and how I found out about an obscure cut of meat called the sirloin flap. Sirloin flap is very similar to skirt steak except it's leaner and from our experience more tender and flavorful. After years of sirloin flap absence because we moved far away from our favorite meat vendor, we happened across it again this weekend at a local market and we brought home the entire supply with no regrets. 

Although this steak is very good by itself we made a chimicurri sauce that stood well against the grilled meat and served as a bright and bold contrast.  A heady California cabernet could accomplish the same but the chimicurri offers another dimension of exciting flavors for the summer. 

Mark Bittman's Chimichurri Sauce
From Food and Wine | September 2004
Ingredients
  • 2 cups chopped parsley
  • 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 4 pounds sirloin flap or skirt steak
Method
  1. Light a grill. In a bowl, mix the parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and crushed red pepper; season with salt and pepper.
  2. Season the steak with salt and pepper and grill over a hot fire until the meat is charred on the outside and rare within, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a carving board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak across the grain. Serve right away, passing the chimichurri sauce at the table.

18 comments:

Meeta K. Wolff said...

I think I could just sink into this! Love going to the market and discovering new things too.

tasteofbeirut said...

This sauce is my favorite! Here we make it minus the pepper, but I would love it on streak or anything!!!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I hate to admit it, but I don't think I've ever eaten chimichurri sauce. I can't imagine why when it's all the things I love and very similar to a spicy vinaigrette with a lot of parsley.
Sam

Deana Sidney said...

I first tried Chimichurri at a Food & WIne in Aspen event. I thought it was insanely good and perfect with meat or fish. I made it all summer long that year but it has sort of fallen out of my rotation... you remind me that it needs to come out of retirement!!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

I love discovering new things at the farmers' market. That is where I learned that beet greens are wonderful to eat!

Mari Nuñez said...

What a wonderful cut! I craving this sirloin flap and sauce.

Have a fabulous weekend :)

Anonymous said...

That chimichurri looks so fresh and wonderful! yum!

Magic of Spice said...

That chimichurri sauce looks wonderful! My oldest is a real steak lover and would go crazy for this :)

Emily said...

that sauce looks amazing! you're seriously a gourmet. :)

Chiara said...

I love chimichurri sause, is so hot!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Looks perfect! Nothing better than an good, flavorful steak charred on the grill!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I don't think I've ever seen sirloin flap steak! I'll have to ask the butcher at my favorite market. I've still not tried making chimichurri either but they certainly look delicious together.

Delicious Dishings said...

That chimichurri sounds like an awesome pairing for the steak.

Jamie said...

I love a simple tender steak like this with a bright, flavorful sauce and this one is fantastic! And easy! Great meal - and I must make this next time I grill a steak, my family will appreciate the added flavor.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Another great steak recipe! I have been seeing so many lately. Going to have to fire up my grill soon.

nancy at good food matters said...

Bittman's chimichurri recipe is a very good one---it gives real brightness and bite to grilled steak.
Perfect for summertime.

Leah @ foodforthefresh said...

I swear I've been dreaming about steak and chimichurri. I think I may just have to follow your lead!!

The Squishy Monster said...

YUM! Looks divine! The meat is cooked PERFECTLY!