Hog Island Oyster Point Reyes, CA

Because the Blue Angels were in town, because there was a blue grass concert, because the America's Cup was racing, because I wanted to see with friends, because the fog rolled in ... Alex and I hopped on a plane to the west coast a couple of weeks ago. While we stretched to get a little bit of everything crammed into one of the busiest and exciting weeks in San Francisco we did get a few relaxing moments, notably our visit to Hog Island Oysters in Point Reyes with our friends Gloria and Chris, the bay area's oyster farm famous for its fresh, briny and clean tasting sweet water oysters.

Tomales Bay

Try shucking these babies!
Grilled oysters

A bar constructed from a boat
Picnicking among the most beautiful and serene views in the area
Yes, someone had lots of oysters this afternoon
This kid attracts dogs like bees to honey
With a truck load of oysters and a couple of  bottles of wine from a local winery in hand we were ready for a fun evening.  Hog Island Oyster in Point Reyes is a quaint, calm and beautiful destination, especially when gathered among good people who like to celebrate the best gift in life: friends. The picnic tables and view from are highly coveted so reservations two months ahead are highly recommended. If you can't make it to the Point Reyes location, which is admittedly a trek (close to a one hour drive from San Francisco), Hog Island has a bustling restaurant in San Francisco, which also has its own spectacular view.  More on this thrilling trip to come!

15 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

We love oysters, cooked or raw. Looks like you and Alex are having fun. What a lovely part of the world.

Eat a couple of oysters for me please.
Sam

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

I've heard of Hog Island Oysters - what fun to see the process up close. Those oysters on the grill look fantastic!

La Table De Nana said...

It looks fabulous..Alex..still steals the show:-)
Look at his expression:-)

Barbara said...

Sounds like a perfect day to me!
Alex has grown sooooo much! He's adorable!

Gloria Baker said...

a nice post Christine and like always I enjoyed seen the sweet Alex:))

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

What a beautiful area! I love oysters too - these must be as fresh as they get.

vianney said...

What a amazing day~ Alex is so big!!

tasteofbeirut said...

I have always wanted to check out Point Reyes while in San Fransisco, but never had the time! Love the shots and wishing I can do it next time!

About Last Weekend said...

We've been to Tomales Bay but strangely have never been to this oyster place. I am so greedy about oysters, I even loved them as a kid, that me and a friend were asked to leave (at a Sonoma wine and food festival) from an all you can eat oyster barn!

lisa is cooking said...

How fun! The oysters look amazing. I'm wishing I could sample a few right now.

Stephanie said...

Oh what a beautiful way to spend a day!! Not really an oyster fan, but I do think I would like to give them at try grilled up like that! They look delish!

Lori said...

Someone was just telling me about this today! I didn't know about this location or the whole picnic atmosphere. I'm so excited to have your post for reference. This will be a high priority for us as soon as I get out to the Bay Area.

nancy at good food matters said...

Point Reyes: One of the loveliest places on the planet! Had my first kayak lesson on Tomales Bay about 10 years ago, when I was visiting my cousins, attending a wedding.
Hog Island Oysters are exceptional.
What a wonderful trip---good for you, just going!

Magic of Spice said...

I can't believe how big Alex has gotten...wow, and what a beauty!

Looks like a wonderful trip, will have to check that oyster place out next time I get up that way :)

le ricette del glutine scomparso said...

adoro il tuo mondo e le tue foto sono eccezionali...
ciao e a presto^_^