Salmon with Brown Sugar and Mustard Glaze

Did everyone have a nice Christmas? This one was a very special one for me as it was the first one I got to spend with my mother since moving out to the east coast. Between pastries, cheeses, grand roast and dark chocolate desserts, we're still stuffed and I'm imagining that everyone out there is still stuffed too. Perhaps somewhere between Christmas Hangover and Leftover Heaven? 

I wish I had the will power to say no to the holiday delights, but none can be found here. After all, as evidenced by this blog, my life revolves around good food.  So the best I can do is to offer a recipe that might counter some of the holiday excess. So today I present salmon with brown sugar and mustard glaze. 

This is hardly a recipe about austerity but perhaps easing into a healthier routine. Salmon hugged by a brown sugar, honey, ginger, mustard sauce caramelized under the broiler. A good compromise for a healthy treat to start the new year.


Salmon with Brown Sugar and Mustard Glaze
adapted from Bobby Flay and The Food Network
Ingredients 
  • 3 Tablespoons light brown sugar ( I used 2 Tablespoons) 
  • 1 Tablespoon honey 
  • 2 Tablespoons butter 
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard 
  • 2 Tablespoons soy sauce 
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil 
  • 1 Tablespoon finely grated ginger 
  • Vegetable oil 
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper 
  • 1 whole side of a salmon
  • sliced green onions or chives for garnish
Method
  1. On the side burner, melt the brown sugar, honey and butter in a small saute pan over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and whisk in the mustard, soy sauce, olive oil and ginger. Let cool. 
  2. Turn on the oven's broiler to high. Place the upper rack of the oven such that the salmon will be roughly three inches from the broiler. Brush oil on a cookie sheet that large enough to hold the salmon fillet. Place the salmon skin side down on the cookie sheet. Brush salmon with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Coat the flesh of the salmon fillets with the brown sugar mixture. Broil for 10 to 12 minutes to medium doneness. 
  3. Allow the salmon to cool a bit before portioning the salmon into 6 pieces and garnishing with green onions or chives. 
Serves 6. 

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. Here are a few pictures of Christmas in Philadelphia:
 Macy's Christmas light show
 Christmas Village at Love Park

 City Hall


 Comcast Center


18 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

I was going to say..:"But I came to see Alex"~
Lovely..the both of you! and le poisson..

Belinda @zomppa said...

Is it really after Christmas already??? What a lovely time you had!! He looks in awe!

From the Kitchen said...

I love the look of wonder in Alex's eyes! Thanks for the great photos of Philadelphia. We eat a lot of salmon and welcome the delicious looking recipe.

Happy New Year!

Best,
Bonnie

Mari Nuñez said...

Christmas was great here, and you said it, I'm still stuffed, lol :) The salmon dish looks delicious, I know I will try that brown sugar and mustard glaze soon!

Have a Happy New Year!

The Church Cook said...

OK, I have to confess that I have come hoping to see a photo of Alex and there he is and your beautiful self! And yes the salmon looks fabulous, too! :) So glad you got to spend Christmas with your mom! Have a wonderful New Year! May it be a year full of blessings and good health to you all!! THANK YOU so much for the beautiful card you sent!!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I agree with Bonnie and Monique. The look in Alex's eyes is worth every visit. What a precious photo of the two of you. I'm betting your mom has it framed in her home :)

How nice that you got to spend time with your family this year. There is a lot of distance between the east and west coast. Your salmon looks fantastic. I think broiling salmon is the easiest way to prepare it for great results every time.

Wishing you and your family a very happy and healthy new year Christine.
Sam

nancy at good food matters said...

HI Christine,
This salmon recipe really appeals to me, in the aftermath of rich roasted meats, decadent cheese trays, creamy casseroles, and dark chocolate desserts. It looks like Philadelphia knows how to decorate for the holidays! such great photos.
Wishing you and your family all the best in the coming new year.
Nancy

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Well, at least with salmon, there's a sense of healthfulness, even if the glaze is indulgent! Wishing you a Happy New Year, and all the best for you and your family!

Gloria Baker said...

Christine look delicious and Alex just lovelt!!!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

We all have to give in to the festive treats of the holidays :) You don't have to twist my arm to serve salmon - my husband and I love it. What a delicious preparation that I will try soon.

Love the photos!

Magic of Spice said...

What a perfectly beautiful way to prepare salmon...love that glaze!
Happy New Year!

Bunkycooks said...

Looking at your Philly photos brought me back home! I always loved that Christmas show at what used to be Wanamaker's when I was a kid. Yes, we are out here still stuffed and still enjoying nice wine, but it must all end with the New Year. As someone said, "Blogger Butt." Yes, that is what I have. :-( Best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Claudia said...

This is the best way to get rid of holiday bloat - and a most delicious way. Loved the photos and Alex - what a perfect age of wonder for the holidays. Happy 2013! May it bring possibilities of all good things!

Deana Sidney said...

Lovely salmon and great pics of you taking the little guy around. I am determined to eat healthier 6 days a week (blog day excepted!).

Have a great New Year!

Velva said...

I am definitely suffering from a food hangover. Still, like you, I like good food. I am not ready to give up good food for celery sticks.

This salmon looks really good. A beautiful way to still enjoy a good meal after the gluttony of the holidays.

Hugs to Alex. Happy New Year to you and yours.

Velva

Barbara said...

Love the way you've prepared the salmon, Christine!
Happy New Year to you and your family. (Fun photos here...and on Facebook!)

kale said...

that salmon is gorgeous, as are you!

Jamie said...

The two of you! You are both stunning! And I love the Christmassy photos! The salmon is pretty amazing, too... oooh I love the flavors - I love honey-mustard on chicken so I'll bet that this brown sugar-mustard combo is fabulous on fish!