WARM WELCOME TO PROVENCE


After a day in Paris I was ready to head south to the farmhouse in Luberon to kick off truffle week with Sherry Page of Culinary Getaways. From Gare-de-Lyon, Paris's largest train station hub, I took the TGV, a very impressive high speed train to Avignon, which is some 470 miles away. Within two and a half hours, I was transported to the countryside in the South of France. That is almost 200 miles per hour. How impressive is that?  I wish we had a TGV at home!

At the station I was met by Sherry Page and Pierre, who picked up a fellow attendee, Hillary and me from Avignon, Stephanie from Marseilles, and off we went to the mas or farmhouse, which is located in the village of Goult in Luberon.


Even in January, the skies were a pristine blue. There were grape vines growing along the dirt-side road, wild fig trees on every corner and miles and miles of free space. I certainly was not in New York City anymore!


When we drove up to the farmhouse, I paused.


Wait a minute, this is not a farmhouse!


A farmhouse doesn't have a swimming pool overlooking the village. What is going on?!


As soon as we entered the house, I was taken back by the simple rustic beauty and elegance of the house. I adored the dining room with the antique-looking pointed arch wooden chairs and the iron wrought chandeliers that cast a gentle shadow over the warm room. 


Upstairs we went to see our rooms. Each of the attendees had a chance to peak into each others' rooms, and everyone gushed at sight.


As soon as I entered my room, I was dazzled by the attention to detail.


Simple and perfect beauty!

 
The gorgeous fabric that draped the windows, adorned the bed and elegant high-back chair tied the room together exquisitely.

 

On each of our beds was an apron from Culinary Getaways embroidered with our name, and luxurious organic olive oil soaps and lotions from Barres Moulin


Luxury and simplicity married together.  I was so excited about our rooms that I dropped my bags, and ran downstairs to check out the rest of the place.


In the living room were three plush sofas to sink into, and a huge coffee table that sat in front the fireplace.

  
And my favorite part of the house was the kitchen!
 

Appropriately, a basket of highly fragrant fresh herbes de Provence sat at the center of kitchen.  


There were goodies on the table and several chips of black truffles to nibble.


Next up will be our first dinner and lesson on black truffles at the farmhouse. I hope this warm welcome to the farmhouse was as enticing to you as it was for me!

Related Posts
Truffle Hunting in Provence
Chez Bruno - The Ultimate Truffle Dining Experience in Provence
Saint Rémy de Provence
Bistrot Découverte in Saint Rémy de Provence
Château Beaucastel Winery of Châteauneuf-du-Pape
Châteauneuf-du-Pape - One of the World's Premier Wine Region

53 comments:

Mardi Michels said...

Thes are AMAZING photos Christine! I can't wait to read about the rest of the trip and the BLACK truffles!

Divina Pe said...

Wow, that's a farm? Beautiful. It's so warm and cozy. How exciting! I'm looking forward to your next post.

El said...

How exciting. This looks wonderful. Eat some chocolate for me!

www.dhaleb.com said...

The photos are breathtaking!!!

You are such a lucky duck, Christine! The "farmhouse" is so lovely. I've never been to Provence but now you've certainly inspired me!

Christo Gonzales said...

lucky, lucky you - I think I wont ever need to go anywhere as long as I have your photos to look at!

Flour said...

Wow!!! Such a charming & intimate space! This is exactly what I picture France to be in my mind. Hopefully someday, I will visit.
Gorgeous photos as usual Christine:) Thank you for sharing.

The Diva on a Diet said...

Oh my stars, I'm swooning at all this beauty! What an absolutely stunning place. Your pics are spectacular - I'm feeling relaxed just looking at them, so I can imagine how wonderful it was to actually be there. Lovely, just lovely, FLB.

Now, about that TGV ... can we get one to the east side? LOL

Anonymous said...

That was a delight to read and see. Beautiful.
xOxO

Chef E said...

I was thinking the same thing as DB, I can wander the hallways and the exterior via you...Black Truffle chips, OMG's you died and went to heaven as far as I am concerned...I thought my stay at Auberge de solel was the bomb...nope hubby is getting this link *hint hint*!

Glad you had a wonderful time, and I cannot wait for the next views!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love that there were truffle chips for you on the table, how wonderful is that!

Beth said...

Christine--your pictures are fantastic! You've inspired me to really start planning my trip to Provence next year!

Sara McCarty said...

How amazing! Love it! The French know how to do it right. Wow.

fimere said...

de très belles photos elles sont magnifiques
bonne soirée

Dolce said...

Technically not a farm but a "mas", in French. A countryside masterhouse :)

chow and chatter said...

wow so so happy for you my friend what a treat beautiful place
happy valentines

Fresh Local and Best said...

Thanks for the comments!
Happy Valentine's Day too!
Dolce - I raised my eye brows when we headed to the mas. I was told it was an old farm house renovated. Either way, I loved it!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

What a treat... Keep these reviews coming!

Esme said...

I cannot wait to hear more about this-sounds like and incredible time at a wonderful house. Your photos are lovely.

Julia said...

Your photos are gorgeous and do the mas justice. I can't help but to admit my jealousy at this amazing experience you had. Looking forward to more...

Stella said...

Nice! You are so lucky. I bet the food was awesome.

George Gaston said...

Looks like you have found a bit of paradise! Have fun...

SKIP TO MALOU said...

Your post is enthralling. I'm captivated by your words and your photos! Thanks for taking me with you. I can't wait to see MORE!

Delicious Dishings said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! That farmhouse is just stunning. And truffles!! I want to hear all about your lesson.

pam said...

I would have completely fallen in love with that farmhouse! Every last detail is perfect!

Kitchen Butterfly said...

Welcome back dearie.........I am not at all envious....of the comforts, or the truffles......no, not any of it. sniff sniff. Could you shop in Paris?

Namitha said...

What a beautiful farm house..Pics are gorgeous , as always :-) Happy Valentine's day Christine !

Joanne said...

Oh my gosh this is gorgeous! Just how I always imagined it to be like...(especially after reading Mayle's description of it). I can't wait to hear about the dinner!

Chiot's Run said...

Beautiful place! I love those knobs on that stove.

Tasty Trix said...

What a cool opportunity. I LOVE that farmhouse-not-farmhouse. I could totally live there, sigh.

Ravenous Couple said...

what a beautiful retreat..the photo of the tulip looks amazing!

Reeni said...

What a beautiful place!

Brilliant Sulk said...

Wonderful photos! Lucky girl.

I love the South of France. Trying to figure out a way to get my entire family there for July.

Robbing a bank might an option right now...

Donna-FFW said...

Oh my!! The photos are beyond lovely. Enjoy every second!

Michelle said...

WOW..what a fabulous farm house! My farm house doesn't look like that..well maybe it would if it was in France! ;)

ARUNA said...

Gorgeous pics, nicely clicked!!

Trissa said...

Christine!!!!! This is such a wonderful and inspiring post! How lucky for you to have had that opportunity. I loved the blow by blow account - as if I was there! Thank you for sharing this.

Deb in Hawaii said...

OK, I want to move there! Stunning photos--it looks like an incredible place. Can't wait to hear about your classes. ;-)

NKP said...

I am coming with Deb and we are both moving in! What an experience of a lifetime!

The Chef In My Head said...

PLEASE! Post(or email) the information to visit this same place! Absolutely beautiful, my husband doesn't know it yet but he's taking me on this trip. ~LeslieMichele

Fresh Local and Best said...

Thanks for the comments everyone!

The Chef in My Head - If you are interested in renting this house, please call Sherry Page of Culinary Getaways. She is the kind woman who coordinated this trip. You may contact her via her website.

Here is her website:
http://culinarygetaways.com/

Pam said...

Amazingly Beautiful! You are one lucky girl! I want to move there!

Happy V-Day!

xoxo

Katy ~ said...

I love the rich antique colors with the splashes of fresh and bright. There is an understated elegance and harmony. Sooo beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Anticipating seeing more!

Mari Nuñez said...

Excellent place to visit. Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I can see we are in for a real treat. I can't wait to hear more.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Avignon is one of my favorite cities in Provence. Did you get a chance to look around? It's an ancient city and quite charming. We were supposed to go to Paris on the TGV from Avignon but at the last minute, we couldn't go. Glad you hear you liked the high speed train.
Sam

Lori Lynn said...

I am not a jealous person. Except right now.
How fabulous for you!
Your photos are stunning!
LL

Kim said...

I've always wanted to ride on a train (high speed or not). It sounds so exciting!!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Looks & sounds like an AMAZING experience!!! Thanks for taking us along!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Beautiful! One of my dreams to to go to Provence, and you are certainly whetting my appetite!

lululu said...

oh, u r telling me now what i've seen in those french movies is for real!
i've love to stay at that house forever!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

OMG. I am stunned into silence. The photos, beautifully captured. The place, the ambiance ... perfect. Thank you for taking us on this breathtakingly beautiful tour of magical Provence. Everything looks enchanting!!!

kat said...

what a dreamy place!

Diana Bauman said...

Absolutely jealous!! Christine, I so want to go on a culinary getaway with you! How fun, I can't wait to read on!