Dark Chocolate Mousse


Plush and dark, chocolate mousse is a melding of contrasts, bringing together the decadent lusciousness of whipped cream and the overpowering austerity of bittersweet chocolate. The addition of strong coffee augments the irresistible earthy flavors of this chocolate mousse. If bittersweet dreams could be a good thing this would be it.


Chocolate mousse is an effortless yet dreamy dessert, so dreamy that I would even call it romantic. It is as worthy for serving during the Christmas holidays as it is during Valentine's Day. Even more fabulous is that it can be made up to two days in advance, which is essential during the hectic nature of this season. This recipe is adapted from Thomas Keller's Bouchon cookbook. The method can be broken down very simply: the chocolate and butter are melted together, and cooled slightly. Egg yolks are combined, then whipped cream and sweetened egg whites are delicately folded into the mixture. The result is simply marvelous.

Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Adapted from Bouchon via Simply Recipes
Ingredients
  • 4 1/2 ounces high-quality bittersweet chocolate (70% cocoa), finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) unsalted butter, diced
  • 2 tablespoons espresso or very strong coffee
  • 1 cup cold heavy cream
  • 3 large eggs, separated
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • (Optional) Extra whipped cream
Method
  1. Whip the cream to soft peaks, then refrigerate.
  2. Combine the chocolate, butter, and espresso in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not simmering, water, stirring frequently until smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool until the chocolate is just slightly warmer than body temperature. To test, dab some chocolate on your bottom lip. It should feel warm. If it is too cool, the mixture will seize when the other ingredients are added.
  3. Once the melted chocolate has cooled slightly, whip the egg whites in a medium bowl until they are foamy and beginning to hold a shape. Sprinkle in the sugar and beat until soft peaks form.
  4. When the chocolate has reached the proper temperature, stir in the yolks. Gently stir in about one-third of the whipped cream. Fold in half the whites just until incorporated, then fold in the remaining whites, and finally the remaining whipped cream.
  5. Spoon or pipe the mousse into a serving bowl or individual dishes. If you wish, layer in fresh raspberries and whipped cream. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours. (The mousse can be refrigerated for up to two days.)
Serves 5-8, depending on the size of the servings.

37 comments:

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Your description and photo already have me swooning with love! Looks absolutely luscious!

From the Kitchen said...

Lovely! I just want to reach for a spoon and have a taste of the chocolate silkiness.

I know this will be a special holiday season with your little one. Enjoy!

Best,
Bonnie

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

Such a simple dish but so wonderful!

Chiara said...

Perfect for next Christmas dinners...Have a good day Christine....

tasteofbeirut said...

Can't think of one dessert that I would love more! it is the ultimate classic, a true epicurean delight.

El said...

This is definitely my kind of dessert. It looks delicious!

Elizabeth said...

CHOCOLATE!

lisa is cooking said...

A beautiful classic! I love the idea of chocolate mousse for dessert on Valentine's Day. I'm already planning ahead.

Delicious Dishings said...

Chocolate mousse is so dreamy. I love the texture and richness.

Belinda @zomppa said...

Goodness that looks like silken luxury!

Katie@Cozydelicious said...

I adore chocolate mousse, it's such a treat! Yours looks so creamy and full of flavor.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Can you believe I didn't like chocolate until well into my 30s? So for much of my life, this dessert wouldn't have excited me. But these day, I'd enjoy every last spoonful of it!

Lori Lynn said...

Hi Christine - such a perfect holiday dessert. I used to make these en masse when I worked in restaurants years ago.
This is a beautiful classic dessert, thanks for the reminder to make it again.
Happy holidays to you and your family.
LL

vianney said...

I love chocolate mousse. Great idea to serve this over the Holidays, I usually only serve mousse for Vday. I need to add this to my holiday party menu, thanks!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Plush is by far the best description I've ever heard used for one one of my favorite desserts.
Sam

The Church Cook said...

I know you love chocolate and this is another winning recipe, Christine. I have the feeling that "our" Alex will have a fine taste for chocolate, too. ;) Have a wonderful December. Please post some pix of him.

bunkycooks said...

I have not had this dessert in years and it is always so good! Thank you for the reminder and Happy Holidays!

Deana Sidney said...

I don't think you can ever go wrong with one of Keller's recipes... they always turn out perfectly. I haven't tried this mousse but I know it will be a killer. As soon as I get through the chocolate ice cream I made... I'll try this for my chocolate fix!! Hope you and the family are well!

Magic of Spice said...

Luscious and lovely...adore chocolate mousse and with espresso,
even better :)
Hope you are having a great week

A Canadian Foodie said...

Chocolate Mousse - a really good one like this - is one of my favourite all time desserts. I have it bookmarked. I have some good chocolate recipes - but haven't found the perfect mousse yet, and trust this may well be it!
Returned from a long trip to Italy this fall and though of you as we went truffle hunting. What a day and what a feast... it was the season, so we had meals at various places... would have loved to have attended "truffle school" as you did, but was thankful for what we were able to do. There is nothing like a fresh truffle - unless it is chocolate mousse!
:)
V

Mari Nuñez said...

A wonderful dessert! By reading your description I have been tempted to taste it right away! For chocolate lovers like me this is a piece of heaven!

Thanks and hugs :)

sally said...

This looks and sounds so tempting! Perfect for the holidays or valentine's day.

Velva said...

I love these dessert textures that are like silk in my mouth. Just give my bowl, my pajamas and socks. I would curl-up, and eat it up. Delicious.

Velva

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I can almost taste that chocolate delight now! How luscious it looks.

Maria @ Orchard Bloom said...

this looks so delicious! love the coffee bean on top.

Unknown said...

Simple but very luxurious, worth the thigh blubber I think :)
*kisses* HH

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

Although it isn't complicated to put together I don't think there is a dessert more elegant and perfect for a special occasion that chocolate mousse. I'm looking forward to trying this recipe, Christine. I hope you and your family have a very happy holiday.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Chocolate silk
yummm~

Barbara said...

You don't need to say another word! Just the photo, the title and the recipe. I am in heaven.

Shoutforfood said...

wow how to miss that.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Gorgeous! This mousse looks so dark, dreamy and inviting. ;-)

Jamie said...

Honey, this is heaven! Pure, unadulterated heaven.... *sigh* Yes, whipped cream chocolate and espresso...nothing better.

nancy at good food matters said...

I love your description of this lush dessert, Christine. I could just dip a spoon into that mousse!

Asmita said...

An all time favorite at our house. The pictures are simply gorgeous!

Chuzai Living said...

I love chocolate mousse! Yum!!

Shoutforfood said...

great photo and the food looks so good

OysterCulture said...

There is something so satisfying about chocolate moose.